Sunday, February 17, 2008

You Used To Be So Amused: Who Do You Think You Are, Vampire Weekend?

[Scene: It's a poorly lit room. Use your fucking imagination, for Christ's sake.]


The Second Man [groggily]: Christ... how long have I been out?

The First Man: Morning papers won't come out for another few hours. Still plenty of time for headlines.

The Second Man: You have any in mind?

The First Man [looks up from his newspaper]: My mind's been on other things. First one I thought of was “Farewell to the Champs-Élysées”

The Second Man [smiles weakly]: It's a good headline. People can believe in it.

The First Man: You're still living in August, Foucault. It stopped being about what people can believe when we stopped being able to dictate that to them. [a beat] You were such a good soldier.

The Second Man: I told you, I don't remember any-

The First Man: What do you want, a Purple Heart? An Iron Cross? Should I break out in a round of My Country Tis of Thee?

The Second Man [uncomfortable]: No idea what you're talking-

The First Man [standing up]: Sweet Land of Liberty?

The Second Man: Listen, sit back-

The First Man [shouting]: Of thee I-

The Second Man [shouting louder] I made a judgment call! [a beat, then he speaks more calmly] You get Johnny and Jimmy's parents' permission for them to come over, you play dress-up long enough to convince yourselves that you're a kangaroo court, and you tell me you wouldn't have done the same goddamn thing, Torquemada.

The First Man [sits back down, returns to his newspaper]: You were never a soldier.

The Second Man: I suppose you mean that as a pejorative.

The First Man: Never served in the armed forces.

The Second Man: Not to the extent of my memory.

The First Man: There isn't even any war going on.

[a beat]

The Second Man [gestures to the newspaper]: Mind handing me the funnies?

The First Man: You read newspapers often, Foucan?

The Second Man: Well no, not since.... since...

The First Man: Since July.

The Second Man [shifts around a bit]: Since July, that's right. [a beat] I've got to keep trusting you.

The First Man: That's a good soldier.

The Second Man: So which section you on?

The First Man: Checking on the markets.

The Second Man: And how are the markets?

The First Man [looks up, smiles thinly]: You tell me, Foucault.

The Second Man: Say again?

The First Man: How are the markets today?

The Second Man: You're the one with the paper.

The First Man: They're either up or they're down. Call it.

The Second Man [pauses in thought]: Down. But you... you always turn a profit.

The First Man: Well done. And how did you know that?

The Second Man: And how did I know that?

The First Man [genially]: And how!

The Second Man [shrugs]: Chalk it up to intuition.

The First Man: Intuition! Well I'd call that nothing but mistaking balls for brains. Dangerous way to think in a time of war like this.

The Second Man: I thought you said there wasn't any war going on.

The First Man [chuckles]: You've got to keep trusting me.



7.65

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.