Sunday, December 9, 2007

Word from the King: In Rainbows Disc 2

What can you possibly have to say to me? Is it that this should be the part where I don my clown suit and talk about revolutionary distribution methods, the slow burn of the music industry's decidedly-poignant Ian Curtis imitation? No, I take it back. I owe EMI nothing and that's true even Still. It's just a delight, isn't it? How I seem to have shunned the suggested clown suit for a much more suitable jester's cap as the years tick by with all the passion of a Panic! cover of Karma Police?

I will not dwell needlessly on the figure-ground dynamic inherent in Ethos - my associate has both sides covered nicely in his discussion of parkour as a channel to forward violence. But rather like the peaceful assassination, the violent parkour, I find the "cover" to be smug and self-justified in the most unbecoming possible manner. Allow me to back up and use a metaphor (a dirtier word than "fuck" in some academic circles, it seems): two men wait in line to seperately seek the counsel of their King. The King is a good man, having come to seat the throne without shedding a drop of blood, yet the men are intimidated: his greatness makes them feel tragically weak, and weakness has always bred cowardice in the hearts of the King's men. The second man sees the first man's success in receiving counsel and, in his turn, approaches the King with an honest request. "Please forgive me, m'lord, but my own request has lost meaning, for my desires -- and, by proxy, my standing in your eyes -- have already been defined by my contemporary. How now can I hope to be seen as worthy at all, let alone deserving of counsel?" The King appears interested, splits some bread in half and tosses the man both halves. "Give one to the man who came before you," the King said, "and ask him as he eats it if he can be sure who defines who." Somewhere, Solomon is quaking, Yorke is smiling, et nous sommes quelques enfants comblés.

The reader of this article -- supposedly also the listener -- is seeking advice from a King. Your options, as they have been handed to me from above, are to either pay $80 or simply download the content. I am certain that the wealthy devout and the and the downloading devout can be placed into the roles of the aforementioned King's men but I do not yet profess to know to which man each is specifically analogous.

I was wrong up above, and I apologize. I am not the King, I am only a man, and I've received Yorke's bread split in two.

I hand you half and deliver my line as instructed. 9.39 (Charmed)

No comments: